All information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. The listings on this site are displayed courtesy of the IDX program of AMPI Vallarta Nayarit MLS and may not be the listings of the site owner.
About San Pancho (San Francisco,) Nayarit, Mexico : A True Beach Town
The history of San Pancho —as this town is lovingly called— is read on the walls of a compound near the beach; it is shared with images painted in acrylics, with colorful personalities and sprinkled across landscapes of this destination, considered the “cultural capital” of the state of Nayarit, thanks to the numerous initiatives carried out here to promote culture and education.
The first inhabitants of this region, where the Southern Sierra Madre begins, were indigenous tribes pertaining to the Tatuan de Nayares group. In 1524 Don Francisco Cortés de Buenaventura named the area Azapan, and the Spanish christened the town San Francisco de Azapan and made it a part of the Jaltemba Hacienda, which produced coconut oil. In 1936, the Sayulita common lands, which San Pancho belongs to, were formed.
This establishment, in a way, created the community spirit that characterizes this destination. And it is precisely the social advocacy of its inhabitants, their work in conjunction with educational projects, environmental issues and the promotion of the arts that has spurred San Pancho’s positive growth and development.
With an intense luminescence, the beach of San Pancho welcomes both those in search of rest and relaxation on the ocean shore with the bright sun and a good book, and those with adventurous spirits that defy the waves of the Pacific on their surf boards. Lining the streets, whose names recall far away places such as Kenya, Pakistan, India and Egypt, you will find cultural centers, galleries, small restaurants, traditional bakeries, diners and even soccer fields and golf courses.